The Family of Imran
42. And when the angels said: O Marium! surely Allah has chosen you and purified you and chosen you above the women of the world.
43. O Marium! keep to obedience to your Lord and humble yourself, and bow down with those who bow.
44. This is of the announcements relating to the unseen which We reveal to you; and you were not with them when they cast their pens (to decide) which of them should have Marium in his charge, and you were not with them when they contended one with another.
45. When the angels said: O Marium, surely Allah gives you good news with a Word from Him (of one) whose name is the ‘. Messiah, Isa son of Marium, worthy of regard in this world and the hereafter and of those who are made near (to Allah).
46. And he shall speak to the people when in the cradle and when of old age, and (he shall be) one of the good ones.
47. She said: My Lord! when shall there be a son (born) to me, and man has not touched me? He said: Even so, Allah creates what He pleases; when He has decreed a matter, He only says to it, Be, and it is.
48. And He will teach him the Book and the wisdom and the Tavrat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).
49. And (make him) an apostle to the children of Israel: That I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I determine for you out of dust like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird with Allah’s permission and I heal the blind and the leprous, and bring the dead to life with Allah’s permission and I inform you of what you should eat and what you should store in your houses; most surely there is a sign in this for you, if you are believers.
50. And a verifier of that which is before me of the Tavrat (Torah) and that I may allow you part of that which has been forbidden to you, and I have come to you with a sign from your Lord therefore be careful of (your duty to) Allah and obey me.
The Dinner Table
46. And We sent after them in their footsteps Isa, son of Marium, verifying what was before him of the Taurat and We gave him the Injeel in which was guidance and light, and verifying what was before it of Taurat and a guidance and an admonition for those who guard (against evil).
110. When Allah will say: O Isa son of Marium! Remember My favor on you and on your mother, when I strengthened you with the holy Spirit, you spoke to the people in the cradle and when of old age, and when I taught you the Book and the wisdom and the Taurat(Torah) and the Injeel(Gospel); and when you determined out of clay a thing like the form of a bird by My permission, then you breathed into it and it became a bird by My permission, and you healed the blind and the leprous by My permission; and when you brought forth the dead by My permission; and when I withheld the children of Israel from you when you came to them with clear arguments, but those who disbelieved among them said: This is nothing but clear enchantment.
16. And mention Marium in the Book when she drew aside from her family to an eastern place;
17. So she took a veil (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our spirit, and there appeared to her a well-made man.
18. She said: Surely I fly for refuge from you to the Beneficent God, if you are one guarding (against evil).
19. He said: I am only a messenger of your Lord: That I will give you a pure boy.
20. She said: When shall I have a boy and no mortal has yet touched me, nor have I been unchaste?
21. He said: Even so; your Lord says: It is easy to Me: and that We may make him a sign to men and a mercy from Us, and it is a matter which has been decreed.
22. So she conceived him; then withdrew herself with him to a remote place.
23. And the throes (of childbirth) compelled her to betake herself to the trunk of a palm tree. She said: Oh, would that I had died before this, and had been a thing quite forgotten!
24. Then (the child) called out to her from beneath her: Grieve not, surely your Lord has made a stream to flow beneath you;
25. And shake towards you the trunk of the palmtree, it will drop on you fresh ripe dates:
26. So eat and drink and refresh the eye. Then if you see any mortal, say: Surely I have vowed a fast to the Beneficent God, so I shall not speak to any man today.
27. And she came to her people with him, carrying him (with her). They said: O Marium! surely you have done a strange thing.
28. O sister of Haroun! your father was not a bad man, nor, was your mother an unchaste woman.
29. But she pointed to him. They said: How should we speak to one who was a child in the cradle?
30. He said: Surely I am a servant of Allah; He has given me the Book and made me a prophet;
31. And He has made me blessed wherever I may be, and He has enjoined on me prayer and poor-rate so long as I live;
32. And dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me insolent, unblessed;
33. And peace on me on the day I was born, and on the day I die, and on the day I am raised to life.
34. Such is Isa, son of Marium; (this is) the saying of truth about which they dispute.
The Non-Canonical Gospels
Gospel of Thomas
II. 1 This little child Jesus when he was five years old was playing at the ford of a brook: and he gathered together the waters that flowed there into pools, and made them straightway clean, and commanded them by his word alone.
2 And having made soft clay, he fashioned thereof twelve sparrows. And it was the Sabbath when he did these things (or made them). And there were also many other little children playing with him.
3 And a certain Jew when he saw what Jesus did, playing upon the Sabbath day, departed straightway and told his father Joseph: Lo, thy child is at the brook, and he hath taken clay and fashioned twelve little birds, and hath polluted the Sabbath day.
4 And Joseph came to the place and saw: and cried out to him, saying: Wherefore doest thou these things on the Sabbath, which it is not lawful to do? But Jesus clapped his hands together and cried out to the sparrows and said to them: Go! and the sparrows took their flight and went away chirping. 5 And when the Jews saw it they were amazed, and departed and told their chief men that which they had seen Jesus do.
The Arabic Gospel of the Infancy of the Saviour
With the help and favour of the Most High we begin to write a book of the miracles of our Lord and Master and Saviour Jesus Christ, which is called the Gospel of the Infancy: in the peace of the Lord. Amen.
1. We find (1) what follows in the book of Joseph the high priest, who lived in the time of Christ. Some say that he is Caiaphas. (2) He has said that Jesus spoke, and, indeed, when He was lying in His cradle said to Mary His mother: I am Jesus, the Son of God, the Logos, whom thou hast brought forth, as the Angel Gabriel announced to thee; and my Father has sent me for the salvation of the world.
21. And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
22. And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;
39. And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.
40. And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.
41. Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
42. And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.
43. And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
44. But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day’s journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance.
45. And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.
46. And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
47. And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
48. And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
49. And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?
50. And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.
51. And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
52. And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
1. And he went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him.
2. And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?
3. Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
4. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.
5. And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.
6. And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.
1. After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him.
2. Now the Jews’ feast of tabernacles was at hand.
3. His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest.
4. For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, shew thyself to the world.
5. For neither did his brethren believe in him.
6. Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready.
7. The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.
8. Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.
9. When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.
In the Qur’an:
1. The Qur’an speaks only of “45…Messiah, Isa son of
Marium, worthy of regard in this world and the
hereafter…”, and refer to Him us a teacher: “48. And He
will teach him the Book and the wisdom and the Tavrat
(Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).”
2. The Qur’an again refers to the Apocrypha: “46. And he
shall speak to the people when in the cradle”, “49…that I determine for you out of dust like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird with Allah’s
It is interesting that the middle part of verse one is presented as a true story but the last sentence contradicts the main doctrine in the Qur’an about the deity of Jesus!
In the Bible:
1. The Bible gives us the title and purpose of the coming of Jesus:
Matthew, Chapter 1:
“21.And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS (Saviour): for he shall save his people from their sins.”
2. The Bible does not give us the details of Jesus’ life before His mission which began at the age of 30, except for one event that occurred when He was 12 years old. According to the Qur’an and the non-canonical texts, He was recognized as an extraordinary child even at five years of age by His neighbors and friends. But the Biblical text gives us an opposite view. Not only did His neighbors not believe Him, but also His brothers! It shows us that the text in the Qur’an (which I believe was taken from non-canonical sources) is in direct contradiction to the canonical (inspired by God) Gospels of the Bible.