The Father of John the Baptist
“The Father of John the Baptist”
The Family of Imran
38. There did Zakariya pray to his Lord; he said: My Lord! Grant me from Thee good offspring; surely Thou art the Hearer of prayer.
39. Then the angels called to him as he stood praying in the sanctuary: That Allah gives you the good news of Yahya (John) verifying a Word from Allah, and honorable and chaste and a prophet from among the good ones.
40. He said: My Lord! When shall there be a son (born) to me and old age has already come upon me, and my wife is barren? He said: even thus does Allah what He pleases.
41. He said: My Lord! Appoint a sign for me. Said He: Your sign is that you should not speak to men for three days except by signs; and remember your Lord much and glorify Him in the evening and the morning.
7. O Zakariya! surely We give you good news of a boy whose name shall be Yahya: We have not made before anyone his equal.
8. He said: O my Lord! when shall I have a son, and my wife is barren, and I myself have reached indeed the extreme degree of old age?
9. He said: So shall it be, your Lord says: It is easy to Me, and indeed I created you before, when you were nothing.
10. He said: My Lord! give me a sign. He said: Your sign is that you will not be able to speak to the people three nights while in sound health.
11. So he went forth to his people from his place of worship, then he made known to them that they should glorify (Allah) morning and evening.
“The Father of John the Baptist”
5. There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
6. And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
7. And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years.
8. And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest’s office before God in the order of his course,
9. According to the custom of the priest’s office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord.
10. And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense.
11. And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense.
12. And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him.
13. But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
14. And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
15. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.
16. And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
17. And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
18. And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.
19. And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings.
20. And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.
21. And the people waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he tarried so long in the temple.
22. And when he came out, he could not speak unto them: and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple: for he beckoned unto them, and remained speechless.
23. And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.
24. And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,
25. Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men.
57. Now Elisabeth’s full time came that she should be delivered; and she brought forth a son.
58. And her neighbours and her cousins heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy upon her; and they rejoiced with her.
59. And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him Zacharias, after the name of his father.
60. And his mother answered and said, Not so; but he shall be called John.
61. And they said unto her, There is none of thy kindred that is called by this name.
62. And they made signs to his father, how he would have him called.
63. And he asked for a writing table, and wrote, saying, His name is John. And they marvelled all.
64. And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God.
In the Qur’an:
1. More that one angel talked to Zacharias: “Then the angels called to him...”.
2. Zacharias was silent for just three days.
In the Bible:
1. There was only one angel, Gabriel, who addressed Zacharias.
2. The period of silence was more than nine months:
And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, “24. And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived… 59. And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child;… 64. And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God.”