Noah and the Flood
“Noah and the Flood”
The Holy Prophet
36. And it was revealed to Nuh: That none of your people will believe except those who have already believed, therefore do not grieve at what they do:
37. And make the ark before Our eyes and (according to) Our revelation, and do not speak to Me in respect of those who are unjust; surely they shall be drowned.
38. And he began to make the ark; and whenever the chiefs from among his people passed by him they laughed at him. He said: If you laugh at us, surely we too laugh at you as you laugh (at us).
39. So shall you know who it is on whom will come a chastisement which will disgrace him, and on whom will lasting chastisement come down.
40. Until when Our command came and water came forth from the valley, We said: Carry in it two of all things, a pair, and your own family-- except those against whom the word has already gone forth, and those who believe. And there believed not with him but a few.
41. And he said: Embark in it, in the name of Allah be its sailing and its anchoring; most surely my Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.
42. And it moved on with them amid waves like mountains; and Nuh called out to his son, and he was aloof: O my son! embark with us and be not with the unbelievers.
43. He said: I will betake myself for refuge to a mountain that shall protect me from the water. Nuh said: There is no protector today from Allah’s punishment but He Who has mercy; and a wave intervened between them, so he was of the drowned.
44. And it was said: O earth, swallow down your water, and O cloud, clear away; and the water was made to abate and the affair was decided, and the ark rested on the Judi, and it was said: Away with the unjust people.
45. And Nuh cried out to his Lord and said: My Lord! surely my son is of my family, and Thy promise is surely true, and Thou art the most just of the judges.
46. He said: O Nuh! surely he is not of your family; surely he is (the doer of) other than good deeds, therefore ask not of Me that of which you have no knowledge; surely I admonish you lest you may be of the ignorant
47. He said: My Lord! I seek refuge in Thee from asking Thee that of which I have no knowledge; and if Thou shouldst not forgive me and have mercy on me, I should be of the losers.
48. It was said: O Nuh! descend with peace from Us and blessings on you and on the people from among those who are with you, and there shall be nations whom We will afford provisions, then a painful punishment from Us shall afflict them.
49. These are announcements relating to the unseen which We reveal to you, you did not know them-- (neither) you nor your people-- before this; therefore be patient; surely the end is for those who guard (against evil).
105. The people of Nuh rejected the apostles.
106. When their brother Nuh said to them: Will you not guard (against evil)?
107. Surely I am a faithful apostle to you;
108. Therefore guard against (the punishment of) Allah and obey me
109. And I do not ask you any reward for it; my reward is only with the Lord of the worlds:
110. So guard against (the punishment of) Allah and obey me.
111. They said: Shall we believe in you while the meanest follow you?
112. He said: And what knowledge have I of what they do?
113. Their account is only with my Lord, if you could perceive
114. And I am not going to drive away the believers;
115. I am naught but a plain warner.
116. They said: If you desist not, O Nuh, you shall most certainly be of those stoned to death.
117. He said: My Lord! Surely my people give me the lie!
118. Therefore judge Thou between me and them with a (just) judgment, and deliver me and those who are with me of the believers.
119. So We delivered him and those with him in the laden ark.
120. Then We drowned the rest afterwards.
14. And certainly We sent Nuh to his people, so he remained among them a thousand years save fifty years. And the deluge overtook them, while they were unjust.
15. So We delivered him and the inmates of the ark, and made it a sign to the nations.
21. Nuh said: My Lord! surely they have disobeyed me and followed him whose wealth and children have added to him nothing but loss.
22. And they have planned a very great plan.
23. And they say: By no means leave your gods, nor leave Wadd, nor Suwa; nor Yaghus, and Yauq and Nasr.
24. And indeed they have led astray many, and do not increase the unjust in aught but error.
25. Because of their wrongs they were drowned, then made to enter fire, so they did not find any helpers besides Allah.
26. And Nuh said: My Lord! leave not upon the land any dweller from among the unbelievers:
27. For surely if Thou leave them they will lead astray Thy servants, and will not beget any but immoral, ungrateful (children)
28. My Lord! forgive me and my parents and him who enters my house believing, and the believing men and the believing women; and do not increase the unjust in aught but destruction!
“Noah and the Flood”
1. And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2. That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
4. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
5. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
9. These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
10. And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
11. The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.
12. And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
13. And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
14. Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
15. And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.
16. A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.
17. And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
18. But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons’ wives with thee.
1. And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
6. And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth.
13. In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah’s wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
29. And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.
In the Qur’an:
1. Noah asked Allah to destroy all those who did not listen to Noah, and asked for forgiveness for himself and his parents.
2. One of the sons of Noah was not in the Ark and died during the flood.
3. Noah was among the wicked generation for 950 years: “ so he remained among them a thousand years save fifty years…”.
In the Bible:
1. God Himself made the decision to destroy the human race, but saved Noah’s immediate family – his wife, his three sons, and his three daughters-in-law ( eight persons all together). There is no mention of Noah’s parents.
2. One son became wayward. Ham sinned against Noah after the flood, having been saved earlier in the Ark; for God saved ALL Noah’s family: “Go into the ark, you and all your household…”.
3. Noah was 600 years old before the coming of the flood and he lived 350 years after the flood while all other people of the world were destroyed; therefore Noah lived among the wicked generation for only 600 years.